Birth doulas are caregivers who help women and their families both physically and emotionally during labor and birth. Doulas can assist women and their families in getting information to make the very best health care decisions for themselves and their families. DONA International has some sources on the research of the benefits of using a doula.
There are several benefits* to hiring a doula, which include:
- reducing the overall cesarean rate by 50%
- reducing the length of labor by 25%
- reducing Oxytocin use by 40%
- reducing pain medication by 30%
- reducing the need for forceps by 40%
- reducing epidurals by 60%
* Information from Mothering the Mother: How a Doula Can HelpYou Have a Shorter Easier and Healthier Birth, Klaus, Kennell, and Klaus (1993).
Here is a video presented by DONA International – The Essential Ingredient: Doula